Nothing says summer like a popsicle on a hot sunny day, preferably sitting on a deck listening to the waves roll in. Since I'm not eating sugar, or artifical sweeteners right now, or listening to the waves roll in, thought I'd indulge by making a popsicle card!
- watercolor paper
- paint brushes
- paper towels
- watercolor paints (I used Tombow Markers and Peerless watercolors). I need some watercolors other than these as I have limited colors and I find the Peerless and the Tombow work best on smaller images.
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (see explanation below)
- craft sheet or other non porous surface
- tolerance for imperfection
- A2 white card
- Ranger Archival Black ink
- sentiment stamp (Simon Says Stamp You're So Sweet)
1. Cut watercolor paper and draw popsicle.
2. Color in the popsicle. I start at the outline and move in. Once the outline is painted, erase pencil lines. The more water you use, the harder the lines will be.
3. After you paint an initial layer of the popsicle itself, let dry.
4. Work on the background.
5. Add ink (I used a pink marker) on craft sheet and add a little Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (about a nickle size) and mix. Paint that mixture on parts of the popsicle with a flat brush to add some texture and to act as a bit of a resist.
6. Let dry. Because it's a thin mixture, the Dimensional Magic will dry while you get up and wash that brush. You want to wash the paint brush right away or the Dimensional Magic will harden on the brush.
7. Keep watercoloring the popsicle and the background until you are happy, making sure that each part is dry while you work on the other. I did not bother a whole lot with light source so mine is sort of all over the place, but I'm making believe it was intentional....
8. After it dries, hold your breath and stamp the sentiment if you want one.
9. Adhere dry panel to card.
10. Mail the card to someone sweet.
Here's a few pics in progress that I took with my cell.
Started with the outline.
Started to fill in the background.
See the shiny part? That's the initial layer of the Mod Podge Magic Dimensional.
MOOD WHEN DONE = Summery!